Readying Your Child For Their First Dental Visit
Know how to prepare for your child’s first visit to Dr. Tim Nichols, at Longmont Pediatric Dentistry.
Your child is growing up fast! That means that it’s time to start considering their first dental visit. Find out what to do before your child’s first visit and what to expect when you come into our office:
Before Your Child Sees the Dentist
Before going to Longmont Pediatric Dentistry, here are some things to consider to make the visit a breeze:
- If your child has any medical conditions or is taking any medication, it’s important to have that all written down beforehand. You will also want to bring along the name and number of your child’s pediatrician just in case we need more information on their condition.
- If your child uses a pacifier and sucks their thumb, we want to know about it. It might seem innocuous, but these habits can affect your child’s teeth and jaw.
- While we will talk to you about ways to keep your child’s smile free of decay it’s important that you don’t let your little one sleep with a bottle of juice or milk, as drinking these liquids throughout the night can cause decay. If your little one needs something to drink in the middle of the night fill the bottle with water.
- Talk to your child about their upcoming visit so they know what to expect. Also, start incorporating good brushing habits early so they feel comfortable having a toothbrush in their mouth.
What to Expect
The first visit to Longmont Pediatric Dentistry can be broken up into different segments:
- Introductions: We want to establish great rapport with your child so they feel comfortable coming into our office every six months. This means offering introductions and sitting down with your child to talk them through what they can expect on their first visit. Children may also sit on their parent’s laps, especially if they are nervous.
- Discussing habits: We will talk with you about your child’s diet, lifestyle and other habits that can affect their smile. We will also show both you and your child the best ways to clean their teeth and keep their mouth healthy. Now is also the perfect time to ask any questions you have of us!
- Getting comfortable: Dental equipment can make some loud and rather scary noises so we want your little one to feel comfortable with them. We will show them how everything works before we use it so they know there is nothing to fear.
- Clean smiles: We will then take a peak inside their mouth to check the health of their teeth and gums. If there are any signs of plaque buildup we will perform a light, gentle cleaning. We will also apply fluoride to their teeth, if necessary.
We pride ourselves on offering affordable dentistry to the Longmont, CO area so that anyone can have the healthy smile they deserve. Feel free to ask us about our payment options to make your next visit a little easier on your wallet. Call Longmont Pediatric Dentistry to schedule your little one’s first visit!